After formulating an experimental plan, we needed to have some datasets to run those experiments on. There are some requirements that classify a good dataset for this task: it must be non-trivial in size, needs to include a protective attribute (such as gender or race), and it must have some true ranking. While it is possible to find a datasets that satisfies two out of the three requirements, it becomes difficult to satisfy all of the requirements.
Encompassing a dataset from Rankit, list of Fifa 2018 players was added as a possibility. It contained 17981 players, has a protective attribute (age and nationality), and potentially has a true ranking. The true ranking can be based on goals scored, or money earned by the player. Some ranking data can also be found over this datasets, although it does not encompass all of the players.
Hospitals and doctors also have a significant amount of data, both attribute and entity-vise. However, finding a true ranking might prove to be impossible.
After a meeting with our faculty advisor, we settled on beginning the process of a user study. But, before we can progress with that we have to focus on cleaning up the UI to make sure it is user friendly and consistent, adding more datasets, and establishing a process for our user study.
For the frontend, we compiled a list of things we needed to accomplish before having a testable website. And so we began implementing and crossing tasks off of the list.
[ ] Switching out json printing view with table designed from scratch.
[ ] When removing object from the “black box” selection div. Make sure to remove that object in the “black box” once placed in rank div to represent that the user changed that object.
[ ] Fix Pairwise view for ranking. Remove “Enter object here” on rank div. Add icons for ui.
[ ] Shuffle button
[ ] Search through objects in build
[ ] Submit button in the right of build view and search bar in the middle of the build view.
[ ] Black box border for div containing a…
Addressing the feedback we received last week, my team and I began to redesign the UI.
Firstly, in order to make the functionality of RANKit clearer, we updated the landing page to include a tutorial.
Furthermore, to address the problem of not being able to see the ranking boxes until scrolling down, we redesigned the Build UI such that the datasets is to the left of the ranking box as opposed to the top of.
As this is the last week of the term, we met up to discuss plans for the winter. Below are the list of tasks we need to accomplish. Build view functionality fixesPairwise view dataset pool keeps a copy of the removed objectDataset pool is not preserved between views Rank button should rank only the objects in the specific tab Build view UI fixesOption to pick a view once first landing on the Build viewFix Instruction placement in build view, info buttonExploreRedesign Explore UI such that you can view the attribute weights on ratingOptimizing Explore rendering timeMachine learning s…