Week 19: Getting Back to Work

Applying for and receiving the approval for the IRB, left us with only one major task: make sure our website is bug and typo free, clean, and usable for everyone.

Our faculty advisor, in testing out our web application, ran into a problem. In our dataset selection screen, we have a hover over functionality on each dataset square that flips over an option between the Build and Explore tools. However, on our faculty advisor's laptop, hovering over with the mouse did nothing, and neither did clicking on the dataset block.

I took up the task of resolving this bug. Turns out, that none of the group members had a touch screen laptop, what our faculty advisor had, and so this problem was left unnoticed. While normal clicking and moving around did not get a response, what did seem to work is using the touch screen and touching the dataset block. Upon doing so, the flap flips over with different tool options. However, this behavior wasn't intuitive, and so I fixed the code such that the flap was always visible.

Furthermore, another bug was discovered. In the pairwise method, whenever you would put an item back into the dataset pool, the item does not disappear (and so you have multiple occurrences of one item). 

Also, the backend crashed whenever an item had a colon in its name. 

After fixing all of the bugs, I was done with my weekly tasks (and all the known bugs were fixed).


Popular posts from this blog

Week 31: Fair Ranking Search

Week 26: Finishing the Paper

Week 28: Getting Back to Work