Showing posts from September, 2017

Week 3: Making the Landing Page

Landing Page  Moving our database to the cloud meant that we needed to change our layout of the landing page. Using the image found at link as a placeholder, we quickly programmed our landing page. We figured out the three key components we wanted our landing page to convey: description of our tools, access to data sets, and, upon the selection of the dataset, access to the choice of either Lineup or MyRanker. 
After the completion of the landing page, we looked at what could be done better in terms of UI. The about paragraph seemed long and unreadable, the picture did not convey any new information (although it took up a good portion of space), and the overall page did not attract to itself. After analyzing website structures by visiting common websites, we concluded that we needed to convey more of the meaning through a video/image and less through words. 
Firebase When trying to connect our landing page to Firebase, we encountered multiple difficulties. 
First, we still have not y…

Week 2: Finalizing Plans

We knew we had a tool. Naturally, the next question was, how do we incorporate it in our project?
Planing Landing Page  The initial thoughts on the landing page lead us to determine that we have three tools: Lineup, MyRanker, Data. While Lineup would serve as a visualization tool, MyRanker would be the machine learning tool that decides how to rank based on a sample of user preferences, and Data would be a tool to store and manage user related data (their data files, which have different attributes and their values). I worked with another teammate to mockup our landing page, which would act as the index page that provides access to the three tools.
Database Storage After a talk with our graduate student advisor, we've agreed that we did not want to get stuck on data storage and management, and that it would be best to minimize the project of the Data tool. It would only support importing and exporting user datasets. Therefore, no data management, such as adding or modifying specif…

Week 1: Initial Planning

The week started off with many ideas swirling about, a couple of tasks that needed assigning, and a lot more questions to answer than was physically feasible to wrap around your head. Yet, despite the confusion, many ideas began to solidify by the end of the week.

Over the summer, our graduate student advisor, Caitlin, discovered an open source tool that has functionality of what my team and I are trying to achieve: Lineup. After diving into the GitHub code, analyzing the paper Lineup:Visual Analysis of Multi-Attribute Rankings, following through the tutorial, and cloning the repository onto our personal machines, we concluded that Lineup would be useful to our project.

However, that decision was not simple. Before we could decide to use Lineup we need to first evaluate the tools it uses to test the learning curve and usefulness of them:
D3TypescriptJavascript-librariesPhoveanpm From then on, liking the idea of Typescript, but also arguing for t…